West Basin Municipal District (West Basin) and the Water Replenishment District (WRD) are teaming up to present the 2022 Water Industry Careers Guest Panel, featuring a video library spotlighting two career paths in the water industry. A live panel will be held on April 29, where high school students will have the opportunity to learn and ask questions about career paths, training programs, and other opportunities in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields.
Date: Friday, April 29
Time: 10:00AM – 11:30AM
Register Here Send in Your Questions
|Guest Panelist||Title||Video Link|
|Camille Castillo||Water Resources Engineer||Watch Now|
|Stephanie Cuevas||Senior Government Affairs Representative||Watch Now|
2022 Water Industry Careers Panel Resources
- Teachers: First 25 classes to attend will receive a $50 Office Depot gift card to support their classroom needs. All teachers may also request priority reservations for field trips during the 2022-2023 school with free school bus transportation.
- Note: Teachers must e-mail event coordinators a list of student names. Classes may join under one teacher’s log in or students may register on their own device. Must be logged on for entire duration of panel.
- Students: Opportunity drawing for TV and Amazon Fire tablets. Three (3) Amazon gift cards will be awarded to the most interactive student attendees.
- Students will be able to introspectively explore, analyze and describe their:
- Aptitudes toward academic and vocational disciplines and preferred life-experiences
- Preferred work responsibilities and tasks
- Preferred work environments
- Students will be able to browse through a video library and view short, self-recorded testimonies of water professionals describing their job positions. Students will be encouraged to compare their career aspirations to selected water jobs and identify those water jobs that closely align with their aspirations as well as those positions that do not align.
- Students share their findings in a group discussion.
View pre-recorded interviews of water professionals and the recorded panel event from October 2021 at the links provided below.
|Josi Jenneskens||Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst||Watch Now|
|Moises Santillan||Assistant Hydrogeologist||Watch Now|
|Jason Kung||Operations Analyst||Watch Now|
|Uzi Daniel||Operations Manager||Watch Now|
|Recorded Event||Water Industry Careers & Guest Panel||Watch Now|
California’s water industry provides many career paths that can be obtained with different levels of education from certification to technical and four-year degrees and above. This section provides information on operator certification, apprenticeship programs and industry associations, which can provide valuable networking and training opportunities for free or a reduced fee.
- State Water Resources Control Board – Drinking Water Treatment and Distribution Operator Certification Program
- State Water Resources Control Board – Wastewater Operator Certification Program
- American Water Works Association – CA-NV Chapter Student Membership
- California Water Environmental Association – Student Membership
- Metropolitan Water District – Apprenticeship Program
- Department of Water Resources – Apprenticeship Program
Educators are critical to supporting water industry career explorations for students of all ages. The following free curriculum resources are available to support career and technical education (CTE) in the classroom.
West Basin provides a variety of opportunities to help students explore the fulfilling and diverse careers in the water industry, including:
- Career-themed Water Treatment Facility Tours
- Live Classroom Career Presentations
- Pre-recorded Water Industry Professional Panel Interviews
- …and more!
Students and educators are encouraged to explore the free resources below to further support water industry career exploration.
To schedule a tour or career presentation for your class, please contact West Basin Education Coordinator Janel Ancayan at (310) 660-6253 or JanelA@westbasin.org.